[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Sparks to ground

All,

It has been stated on this list that one an arc contacts ground that the
resonator Q goes into the hamper to near zip.

I was reviewing some frame by frame video hits of maggey #11-E and note
that the arc channel develops over an extended period of time!

I note a spark approaching the heavily grounded aluminum siding on my
house.  The contact occurrs, let us say, at t0, in frame, f0.  The arc
channel is fairly dim, but contact is made and the arc channel is 115"
long point to point.  In the next frame, f1, (1/30 second later) the
channel doubles in brightness.(as measured by my light meter (spot
reading).  In frame f2 the arc channel increases in brightness by another
40% or so over the preceeding frame.  In frame f3, the channel retains
about the same brilliance (white hot) as in f2 frame.  In frame f4, the
channel starts to reduce its brightness and is about 65% of f2s level.
Frame f5 shows a greatly reduced channel intensity and is just about 10%
below that of f0s level.  In frame f5, The channel is just a faint mist
of ionized vapor.  Frame f6, shows the channel to have disappeared.

Assuming 400 BPS (which is my normal break rate), This means that the
system has energy pops at the rate of about 13 pulses per video frame. so
we see that from time of contact to max brighness,(more or less), we
actually sent in about 52 energy pulses.  Is the electronic Q of the
resonator system this slow to respond?!!  Energy delivery to the arc
channel was consistently on the increase over this long period
(~120,000 usec).

The rise to max channel current is rather slow, compared to the
extinguishing of the channel which never takes more than 2 video frames
(1/15 sec-60,000usec).

I am making no judgments here, only reporting observational fact.

Richard Hull, TCBOR