[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TC Output Voltage

Malcolm Watts wrote:

> Point taken :) I think effective arc resistances can only be measured
> for and be singly applicable to a well defined set of conditions for
> a particular system. I remember doing a rough estimate on one running
> coil of several kilohms. Channel current and channel length are both
> rather variable quantities. A low Zo is going to give a rather low
> unloaded Zshunt which equates with low voltage production for a given
> Zbase IMO. (Zo^2 = Zbase x Ztop)
>
> Malcolm

How did you estimate Zarc?  Do you think that it can be determined by
watching the decrement of the current waveform at the base of the
secondary coil?
If I remember correctly, a resonant tank ckt is critically damped
when SQRT(L/C) = 2R, and max power xfer occurs at SQRT(L/C) = R.
TC secondaries seem to ring for quite a few cycles, indicating that
the typical Zsec is actually much _lower_ than Zarc.  If this is the
case, how does adding a toroid help with spark production?

-GL