[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 50%

Jack,
       You write...

<snip>
> Does anyone know how to find what the voltage would be if the
> second capacitor was 1/2 farad instead of 1 farad? The voltage
> would be greater than V/2. Note that the losses would now be less
> than the above problem. Do you want to give it a try, R. Hull, to
> compare with answers from other coilers?

We know the total final capacitance, and we know Q, so it should be
easy to solve for the remaining variable, namely V.

> This does have a tie in to Tesla coils. The toroid is charged by
> the Tesla
> coil. If it is discharged to a second similar toroid the voltage would be
> V/2 maybe??
> It may be possible to measure the secondary voltage this way. Any comments?

I find that a very interesting idea indeed. I guess the problem of
measuring high voltage still remains, but suppose you discharge to a
much larger capacitance. Once again the system will oscillate if
underdamped until it settles down. One fly in the ointment would be
the arc distance and I would expect others as well.

Malcolm

BTW, I think I'll throw that new coil away. I saw a single shot
performance from my dining room window this morning that put it to
shame. The local radio station must have suddenly upped power. I saw
a "spark" a couple of thousand feet long emanate from it while I was
watching :)