[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Power Transformers

Tesla List wrote:

> >From DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-comSat Nov  9 21:34:48 1996
> Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 12:51:37 -0500
> From: DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Power Transformers

> <snip>
>
> << With a 2 kva transformer, you shouldn't need anything as
>  large as an arc welder although it should work ok if you have one.  We were
>  talking about building a variable inductor at one time and think we decided
>  on a range of 5 to 25 mh as the appropriate size - and of course the
>  conductors need to be able to carry the full primary current easily.  Your
>  transformer at 2kva will draw about 9 amps from the 220 volt line.  You
>  should be able to push this to 4 kva or about 20 amps for short periods
>  without hurting it at all.  If you don't have access to a welder, you
>  probably need to wind an inductor in the 10 to 20 mh range with variable
> taps
>  to select the current range you want. >>
>
> Found your post on making your own inductor quite fascinating.  Would you
> have any further specific suggestions on building a variable inductor, such
> as: if air core does it matter of it is bobbin wound or edge wound.  If iron
> core is necessary, what should the shape of the core be (I seem to recall a C
> shaped  iron core with an extra hunk of metal in the gap. I also seem to
> recall that the distance of the "extra hunk" in the gap to the rest of the
> core makes a difference in the shunting characteristics and that it needs to
> be adjusted "tuned" for the desired amount of current limiting).  And does
> the core need to be laminated silicon steel core stock or will 1/2 in iron
> bar for the neighborhood hardware store work?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
>  -DavidF-

David and all,

In order to keep the size and cost down, the ballast inductor should use
some type of laminated iron core. Various designs have been proposed on
this list, ranging from large solenoids wrapped around PVC pipe, with an
adjustable laminated iron core (which won't saturate under heavy
variable magnetic path/air gap could also be used. In any event, the
adjustable element should be made from laminated steel so that eddy
current heating doesn't get too far out of hand. Wire size should be
large enough to keep I^2R losses manageable - #6 or #8 AWG will be good
up to 50 Amps for intermittent duty. The solenoid could be wound from a
pair of #10 AWG wires in parallel to achieve about the same ampacity.

An AC welder is a handy method, since most AC welders offer ways to
easily adjust the amount of ballast inductance, some of them "on the
fly". Other alternatives include ballast inductors for high-power arc
mercury or sodium vapor lighting, or even some types of microwave
transformers with the secondaries shorted. Large arc-lighting ballast
inductors can often be found at scrapyards for $10-20 (since they have a
fair amount of copper and iron). I just purchased one at the local yard
that handles 6.5 KVA and weighs 52 pounds for about $20.

Note that high-power shunting resistors are essential to keep voltage
transients down to a manageble level when the gap is quenched. These can
be space-heaters, hot-water heater elements, or oven elements, but must
be capable of safely dissipating up to several kilowatts of heat. Not
using these can mean that inductive kickbacks will get back into your
power mains and wipe out your computer, VCR, answering machine, etc...

Safe coilin' to ya!

-- Bert  --

rom MAILER-DAEMON-at-ns-1.csn-dot-net  Sun Nov 10 22:31:00 1996