[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dumpster diving, tube cutting

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Dumpster diving, tube cutting
>
> >From bturner-at-apc-dot-netFri Nov 22 08:45:22 1996
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 01:36:17 -0800
> From: open_minded <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Dumpster diving, tube cutting
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> > >From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comThu Nov 21 21:56:47 1996
> > Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 21:56:20 -0700 (MST)
> > From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> > To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> > Subject: Dumpster diving, tube cutting
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Today I went to the local plastics store to get some scrap.  I left with
> > enough, but on the way out I had an idea.  I went around back and looked
> > in their dumpster.  Bonanza!  I found a bunch of odd pieces with busted
> > corners, etc. that were not useful as saleable scrap, but work well for
> > HV insulation, etc.  Now I have a bunch more acrylic sheet for future
> > projects.
> >
> > I recently obtained a 9.5" OD PVC pipe (heavy wall) that I was thinking
> > of making into a coil form.  The problem that I face is cutting the thing
> > off squarely.  Does anyone have any tips?  At this point I think the best
> > course of action is to mark it carefully and use a hand saw.
> >
> > Chip
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=->  Chip Atkinson
> >  http://bhs.broo.k12.wv.us/homepage/chip/info.htm
> >  --- Everyone is someone else's weirdo. ---
> > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> Chip:
>
>   Here is a meathod which works for me, and gives me a pretty square
> cut:
>
>   Using sheets of legal size paper, tape the short (8-1/2") edges
> together so that they are exactly aligned. Use enough sheets to circle
> the tube with about 6-8" extra.
>
>   After taping the sheets end to end, wrap the sheets around the tube
> *but do not tape the paper to the tube*. If you wiggle the paper so
> that the (long) edges are aligned, then the paper 'sleeve' is square
> to the tube. Tape the paper down to itself. You now have a 'circle'
> square that you can slide up and down. Mark along the edge where you
> want to cut.
>
>   Use a new, fine tooth hacksaw blade and very slowly make a light
> cut as you rotate the tube. If you continue to make light cuts as you
> rotate, eventually you will cut through the tube and the edges will
> be resonably smooth and *square*.
>
> - Brent
I've used the method that Brent describes with much success.  One
additional step I add is to use a new, sharp utility knife blade to
*carefully* score the edge before using the hacksaw.  This provides a
good starter groove for the hacksaw blade to ride in.  However, be very
careful when doing this - it takes a fair amount of pressure to score
the PVC.  It usually takes a couple of "orbits" around the pipe to
obtain a decent groove.

It's pretty easy for the blade to slip on the PVC (the last thing you
want to happen), so you have to stay focused. Wearing heavy work gloves
is probably a good idea.  Chain mail gloves (like the kind butchers
wear) are an even better idea (and cheaper than a radial arm saw).  I
think that eye protection is a must with any cutting job, too (I'm a
risk/safety manager - does it show?).

This is probably an optional (maybe even unnecessary) step in the
process; I use it because when I tried to use the hacksaw I had trouble
staying on the line and chewed up the paper pretty good.  Maybe the
excitement of starting a new project gives me the jitters!

Anyway, the "paper tube" method (with or without my potentially
dangerous utility knife cutting step) is a good low tech solution if you
don't have a table saw, radial arm saw, etc. or some way to square the
pipe.  If you take your time, this method works well.  If you do try it,
be patient.

Good luck!

-Dick Messick