[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More real experiments

Tesla List wrote:

> >From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comThu Nov 21 20:34:37 1996
> Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 03:23:41 GMT
> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More real experiments
>
> >Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 05:15:13 -0800
> >From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: More real experiments
> >
> [snip]
> >> Ok I'll bite;)
> >>
> >> Richard,
> >>         Given your little micro coil: 3" by 5" tall, how long are it's
> >> sparks.
> >>
> >> I'm asking because of several simultaneous events, my 7ish year old
> >> son (and wife ((not size 7 yet;);) ) are making hints about a science
> >> fair project, Skip's temporary small coil restrictions and several of
> >> the coilers on this list are in frozen environments all of which add
> >> up to small coil projects.
> >>
> >>         chow,
> >>
> >>         jim
> >

> >Jim,
> >
> >The output can be cranked up to 5"-7" point to point sparks off of a
> >14X4" toroid, with 16 gaps in the static series gap at about 38VA input.
> >
> >Richard Hull, TCBOR
> >
>         Thanks Richard,
>
> That looks like a good size for a (very) small informal group demo.
>
> What is the minimum size that you have obtained air discharges from?
>
>         Regards,
>
>         jim

Jim,

We once had a contest in our group (1990) to see how small we could make
one of these things and I beleive that Bill Richards or our group may
hold the record with a coil wound on a coathanger cardboard tube ~1/2
diameter about 3 inches long wound with #54 wire.  He used a bug zapper
xfrmer (~5kv -at-2ma) for a 1" or 2" spark output.  We have wound many 1"
diameter systems about 4" tall in oil and I have made an oil immersed
system on a 1" form that was 8" tall wound with #44 wire which gave 12"
of spark.

The problem is that the coil is tiny and might, with primary, weigh in at
30 grams, while the cap and transformer might weight 10 Kg!  A factor of
333:1!  A bit absurd.  Still, it is always fun to head in the opposite
direction from where the madden crowd seems headed.

I just recently acquired a roll (2lb) of #64 wire and am itching to wind
it on a 20" diameter form I have that is 48" long!

Richard Hull,TCBOR