[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: De-Rating '400hz' Variacs

>I asked the same question a while back and got the answer of 60/400 or 18
>volts.
>  Even so, I bought one and took it apart.  Talk about nicely wound toroidal
>chokes.
>  I took the thing apart with the intention of using the wound cores as
>filters.
>  I'm going to cover mine in epoxy for insulation.  They should work quite
>well for
>  400Hz and higher frequencies.
>  -- Chip

What was the size of the core that you used? (and variac specs) Did you have
any voltage breakdowns? What value of inductance did you end up with?

I was thinking of using the cores for rf chokes myself!

Kevin M. Conkey

[Kevin,

 The size of the three cores are about 5" in diameter, 2" hole, and and
 about 1.25" thick.  They came off a 10A 400Hz 3 phase variac.  I haven't
 put them in any circuit, so I haven't had any break downs yet :-).
 I have no idea about the inductance.  If you can tell me how to measure
 it using a signal generator, frequency counter, oscilloscope, and/or
 a VOM, I'll try it.

 Chip
 ]