[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

iSOTROPIC CAPACITANCE

To All,

A lot of amateur builders don't have a grasp of what isotropic
capacitance really is.  Yes, they use the word a lot and accept its
premise, but how well do they grasp the concept?

The best article for the non-scientist reader which imparts a rigid
understanding of what Isotopic capacity is and how it is developed, is
found in an old issue of TCBA News (volume 6, #2, 1987) It is written by
Micheal Schoessow. I often quote from this article and rate it as one of
the best ever appearing in the "NEWS".  Contact Harry Goldman about a
back issue $6.00. You might also subscribe to this great publication too
(24.00/year)!

Tesla Coil Builders Association
3 Amy Lane
Queensbury, NY 12804

Basically, Space is a dielectric, in that it has a quality called
permittivity (8.8 picofarads/meter)  It is thru this good office and the
rest of the matter in the universe that a single terminal in outer space
has capacitance.  The equations for this value are all screwed up as are
most theoretical formulae when applied to a real sphere in your lab.
Expect a nice healthy, real world, 20% error when plugging in values.
Please note, this is no dig at science or theory. I am absolutely certain
that the sphere's isotropic capacitance would equal the equations
perfectly, if measured floating in an interstellar void!

I mention the above only because a lot of us need to know or at least
seek to understand every facet of the narrow and quite knowable area of
Tesla coils and related theory.

Richard Hull, TCBOR