[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Capacitor test results

At 09:47 PM 5/21/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>From Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-comTue May 21 21:30:30 1996
>Subject: Capacitor test results
>

>Well,  I finally got the test results back this morning from Condenser
>Products.  I feel somewhat foolish for sending them a perfectly good
>capacitor.  They hipot tested the unit  at 35 kv with rapid charge and
>discharge.  They pulse tested it at 22kv with 3 pulses per second and then
>went up to 8 pulses per second.  They tested the internal resistance and the
>capacitance value - everything looks great.  Now I'm really confused.  There
>are not that many components to this system and it isn't really all that
>complicated.
<snip>

>What else is there?  With the primary current going to almost zero and the
>primary voltage going to maximum, the symptoms seem to indicate a high
>resistance path somehwere in the primary.  I say high resistance instead of
>open circuit since the gaps were still trying to fire, although weakly.
>
>Anyone got any ideas?
>
>Thanks,  Ed Sonderman

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ed:  This sounds real dumb, but maybe you have an open in the primary
between the gap and the primary winding.  My clip slipped off the primary
without my seeing it during a quiet moment, and when I fired the coil up
again, the cap was arcing and I KNEW things weren't right until I put the
load back in the circuit.

With some trepidation,

Steve