[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 2-Coil Tuning

Tesla List wrote:

> >From huffman-at-d0tokensun.fnal.govWed May 29 19:10:58 1996
> Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 09:40:25 -0500
> From: huffman <huffman-at-d0tokensun.fnal.gov>
> To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Cc: 'David Huffman' <huffman-at-d0tokensun.fnal.gov>
> Subject: RE: 2-Coil Tuning
>
> Hi Mark,
> I have a Terman, but it is newer than yours (1955).
> Is the section heading you described RESONANT PRIMARY AND SECONDARY?
> The page numbers don't match my issue.
> Regards,
>
> David Huffman                \   |   /
> Fermilab                 _     \ | /
> P.O. Box 500             p------>X<-------p
> Batavia IL 60510               / | \
> huffman-at-d0tokensun.fnal.gov  /   |   \
> "All the usual disclaimers etc. etc."
>
> <snip>
> ----------
> Hello Malcolm and other coilers,
>         I took a look at Terman's text (Radio Engineers' Handbook,
> McGraw-Hill, 1943, pp 154-163) to see what he said about this.  I, too, have
> wondered if one should drive a coil at one of the split frequencies, for
> example.
> <snip>
>
> Regards,
> Mark S. Rzeszotarski, Ph.D.

Mark, All

We have been over coupling big  2 coil systems for years!  We always
run on the lower frequency  of the double hump!  Don't try this if
you are after power efficiency or good radiation.  Rx.... take a
healthy dose of over coupling for long sparks only!  We want power in the
secondary.  We shouldn't be too concerned about what frequencies are in
the sparks. (again, if sparks are what you are after)

Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard Hull, TCBOR