[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: transformers

On Wed, 8 May 1996 22:11:09 -0600, Tesla List
<tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>, you wrote:

[snip]
>Firstly, is it likely that they are breaking down internally or is 900 V a
>typical running voltage for some lamp I'm not aware of?
>I've frozen one and broken it out of the pitch. It is currently sitting in a
>bucket of diesel. It  has definate internal tracking  problems with a HV
>winding to mains resistance of about 23 M.
Nick,
	dry it out and check it again, I'll bet that your get much
more that 900v.  Also the secondaries should be center taped to the
chassis, not to the mains winding.

>Secondly, if the boxes tey are in are 8" long by 4" square, what sort of
>power output are they likely to be capable of? How big is a typical 900 VA
>neon?

My 15kV 60mA is 10" by 5.5" by 6". My 15kV 30mA is 9" by 4" by 5".

They are not: a Xenon Arc lamp supply (100V at 50-100A with a mini TC
as a starter), nor, a Metal-Halide arc lamp supply. a 10" by 4" by 5"
open frame - shunt limited - auto transformer. spade lugs only, no HV
bushings and a (high accuracy measurement) foot sized cap in series
with the secondary.

I think that the HV bushing and Tar give it away;) It's a neon of some
type that has been arced internally.  Dry it out and expect 12kV to
15kV out of it.

cheers,

jim