[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Grounding Question

  I am installing a grounding system for my coil (15kv, 60ma).  I intend
to eventually use this coil as a transmitting coil, and then further
down the road as a magnifier.  I was going to go pick up some 10"
grounding rods.  I have heard that 2 was all I needed, but should I get
more if I intend to use this as a transmitter?  I'm not really concerned
about the magnifier part now, that's way down, I'd be willing to
build/modify the grounding system then if it was required.

  Now, as for connecting this all.  Is grounding strap better than
grounding wire?  Until I heard people talking about grounding strap
here, I was going to get grounding wire (the kind that would be used to
ground a house with metal-siding).

  Now comes the part of connecting the components to the grounding
system.  In previous coils, I had made a "Grounding Bar" (as I called
it), which was a small bar (6" long) I picked up at the hardware store,
and stuck bolts & nuts in it (to connect various components).  Then I
connected this grounding bar to the RF ground.  Is this a bad idea?  It
seemed to work ok, but my previous coils were smaller than the one I am
building now (6").

  What type of wire would be BEST for connecting components (such as
transformer) to the grounding bar (or whatever else you guys suggest I
use instead).  I had intended to use grounding strap for the secondary
coil, but I wasn't sure if I should use strap/grounding wire for stuff
like the xfmer, saftey gap, etc., or if I should use HV wire.

  One last question about the safety gap.  When everything is properly
tuned, how often should this gap spark?  I can get it to spark from
never to constantly by varying the distance of it.  I didn't notice any
affect on the coil with various distances, but again, my previous coils
were pretty bad.  I want to do this coil right.

Josh W. Perfetto
Josh W. Perfetto

---
Sent via WorldLink on 03/06/96 at 10:42:28.
From: Tidal Wave BBS
      Altamont, NY
      The best around!