[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Air Permeability

Hello all,

I recently stated that an air core choke would saturate.  Please excuse
this little blunder.  They can't saturate, of course.  I was up late
typing that one and I guess I didn't have my brain engaged.

What I should have said is that it takes a very large air core to
provide a good inductance value.  From a practicality standpoint,
it is much easier to use a powdered iron core.

There is also the issue of the true effectivness of an air core choke.
This was out lined in the last issue of the TCBA newsletter.  There it
was stated that an air core choke was basically ineffective.  This was
based on actual measurements of RF removal in an operating coil system.

Scott Myers