[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Introduction

>Greetings Mr. Alan Sharp ! I am Gavin Groce and 16 years of age. I am
>wondering if have plans for an easy coil to build ? I am looking for the
>size coil that is big to make plasma but not to shoot across th room!

Gavin,
What I have is not easy to build, and its certainly not in a form where I could
publish
complete plans - quite a few problems still to solve, and always, if you are an
amateur
designing high power electronics, you have to be prepared to loose quite a few
output
transistors and at L5 a pair ($8) this is not cheap. (Professionals blow even
more -
but they don't have to pay for them!). I've not been able to get much time to
myself
recently and I've a lot to do building heavy power supplies, before I can get
back to the
output stages.

If you are new to electronics, tesla coils aren't a good first project, build
sirens, oscillators
amplifiers, radios, and get a feel for electronics.

If you've done all that, You might find what you are looking for in the
"Information Unlimited"
catalogue -phone 800-221-1705. Lots of stuff including plasma drivers, plasma
globes and
many fascinating electronic devices. They supply kits and plans.

If you are pursueing a serious interest in Tesla coils, there are some books
which
I am waiting for from the International Tesla Society:

430004  Tesla Coils! 100 years of Electrical Magic    by Brent Turner
$27.95
this include plans for Vacume Tube Designs
470015  Modern Tesla Coil Theory..      By Duane A.Bylund       $19.95
includes FET driven plans.
(their order numbers above, FAX  001 719 475 0582.) but I haven't seen these
yet.

(I wouldn't touch a neon transformer design at your age - young people think
they are
 indestructable, older people know that they are not and have learned the art of
self -
preservation. EHT transformers, and charged capacitors are LETHAL as in one
touch
drop down dead. If your immediate plans don't include rigor mortis I would leave
them
well alone.)

When I've got a reasonable design working I'll let everyone know and put it on a
web
page. Compuserve and others give you a 1 meg page free, which is good way of
sharing plans and photos.

>> I see your problem and am investagating it right now!
Why thanks Gavin - I'll send you all my problems - but Ed beat you to this one.
Thanks Ed for the information on reforming capacitors.

Have fun

Alan Sharp (UK).