[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Update

>Back to the pig: Today I popped the lid off again and rewired my
>LV windings. I placed both windings in parallel, which in many
>ways was even harder than rewiring the HV winding. One end of
>each low voltage winding was a very heavy and thick aluminum
>strap. The straps had to be bent, rerouted, and bent again in
>order to place the LV windings in parallel. This was actually
>pretty tough, being that everything was oily, I did not want to
>put a bunch of dirty tools in there, and my clearance was reduced
>with the added HV terminal restricting the lid position. I ended
>up using a wooden drift pin and a hammer to reposition the heavy
>straps, and a pair channel-lock pliers to twist and pull the
>straps up onto the terminal pins. I had one section where the two
>straps crossed in direct contact, and I did not trust the paper
>wrap as it had been scraped around, so I beefed up the insulation
>with a strip of 60 mil poly that I friction fitted where the two
>heavy straps crossed. Once bolted into place, neither the straps
>nor the poly moved.
>
>All said for an done I rechecked the turns ratio to make sure the
>pig was rewired correctly: two HV bushings, 14400 volts output
>with 240v inputs. Putting on the VOM I was able to determine the
>new primary/secondary turns ratio at 1:60 with both LV
>"primaries" in parallel. So far, so good. It was getting late so
>I decided to high-pot test again tomorrow after I do some RF
>ground shielding around the coil.
>
>Richard Quick

Richard,

When you mentioned this upcoming pig operation last week, I was thinking that
you would need to disconnect the primaries and rewire them to get the proper
phasing.

It sounds like the operation was a success.  Glad to hear you're making
sparks again.  I am still waiting for some warmer weather to install a new
ground system.

I've never had the lid off a pole pig, how are the bushings connected to the
high voltage core?  Is it with heavy wire or flat copper strap?

Ed Sonderman