[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New member with some questions looking for answers

> My most recent coil has the following specs:
> Primary: 5 turns .25" copper tubing 18" diameter
> Secondary: 288 turns #16 ga stranded machine tool wire on 12" x 36" form
> Break: 1800 rpm synchronous  4 gap
> Cap: .013
> Neon Xformer: 12kv -at- 60 ma
> Top cap: 18" toroid sometimes used with an 8" ball
> Discharges: nearly 48"
>
> The problem: I want to increase the power input. I have attempted to
> use 15 kv 120 ma neon as the source. I changed the cap to .021 and
> the primary to 3 to 4 turns. Resonance of the primary can be set very
> close to the original resonance of the the 5 turn primary with a .013
> cap. The discharges will not surpass about 42".
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> SKIP

Skip,

Not enough wire on the secondary. 228 turns is only 904 feet, the
frequency of 904 feet is really high (how high, I don't know but I'm
sure it's on the tips of alot of tongues around here).

My non engineering opinion is to wind a lower frequency secondary, say
around or under 200kHz and add/make a bigger cap. Others may suggest to
add more primary windings instead of the cap.

...Jeff   www.DDLabs-dot-com/tesla.html