[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flourescent Light Bulbs

At 02:00 PM 3/25/96 +0700, you wrote:
>>From abourass-at-red-lake.lakeheadu.ca Sun Mar 24 12:11 MST 1996
>Date: Sun, 24 Mar 1996 12:40:50 -0800
>From: Adrian Bourassa <abourass-at-red-lake.lakeheadu.ca>
>To: tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com
>Cc: abourass-at-red-lake.lakeheadu.ca
>Subject: Flourescent Light Bulbs
>
>Hello everyone.
>	My name is Adrian Bourassa and I am fifteen years of age.  I've
>just completed a science project in which I took a TC outlined in a
>magazine and constructed it and then tried to modify it as such that
>would make the arcing distance longer.  I briefly explain a few of the
>interesting phenomina (sorry about the spelling) that surround Tesla
>Coils and one of those is the property that allows a flourescent light to
>be activated by just bringing it close to the assembly.  It just occured
>to me that I don't really have the answer to the question "Why does it do
>this?"  That is why I am mailing.  If anyone would mind taking the time
>to briefly (thoroughly if you like) explain this phenomina to me I would
>be greatly appreciative.  Again I'm requesting an explanation of why a
>flourescent light bulb (actually it's a long cylinder) can be activated
>(lit up) by just bringing it close to the Tesla Coil assembly.
>Thank You
>
>Medium to high power RF (radio frequency) energy excites the atoms of the
gas inside the tube. As the atoms jam around at the speed of light bumbing
into each other they emit light.
        When I was in the Navy, there was a transmitter site at Driver
Virgina. A huge building filled with transmitters on many bands and an
antenna farm you wouldn't believe, inverted v's, dipoles, verticals, all
sorts of antennas as far as the eye could see. The RF fiels in the antenna
farm was great enough that you could walk around with flourescent tubes in
hand and light your way at night. !!

Jim Leonard