[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Thank You Scott/O-scopes

Hello Richard and All,
> I wish to publically thank Scott Meyers for the time, effort and
> support that he constantly provides to our Tesla Experimenters group.

No thanks is neccessary.  I enjoy this crazy hobby as much as the next
guy here.  The digging around for equipment is interesting, to say the
least.

> He is now getting a second order up for an excellent TC capacitor.  I
> am ordering my second.  Also, he recently located a source for older
> tube type Tektronic oscilloscopes.  In my opinion this bears close
> investigation.

I just brought home a 549 storage scope with a 1A1 plug in and the
original cart.  It didn't work very well at the warehouse.  It had a lot
of hash and trash on the CRT, but the CRT was in great shape.  I took it
home and CARFULLY cleaned it and oiled the fan motor.  It had been
sitting in and old dirty unheated warehouse for ~15 years.  After letting
it run for about 6 hours, I put a signal in and it worked like a charm.
It just needed the contact cleaned and the moisture cooked out of the
resistors.  Even the storage works well.  Even though the thing is big
and bulky, I must admit I like it.  I do hate carrying it around though.
It is heavy.  Thank god for the Tek cart.  I'm going to go back and get
a few more modules later.

It has been asked of me to look into getting these for others here.  I am
game.  However, this is definitely a case of buyer beware.  They are old
and there is no garantee that it will last.  The main thing will be the
condition of the CRT.  However, after opening up mine, I can assure you
that these things are built to last.  I can see why I am told that these
were the scopes of choice in thier day.  If there are others interested,
let me know by e-mailing me directly.  After I see what kind of interest
there is, I'll respond to those interested.  There are a lot of models to
choose from.  They are all old and dirty and in need of some TLC.  Some
need to have a tube or two replaced.  The owner has the tubes, but doesn't
want to spend the time going through the scopes to get them running.  It
will take some time to get each on going and assessed to its condition.
There is also a wide range of plug-ins available.  The original carts are
there too.  Most even have the manuals, but not all.  There are manuals
for the plug-ins.

Again, thank you for the compliment RWW.

Scott Myers