[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neon Transformers With/Without PFC

>Hello again,
>
>   I understand that some neon sign transformers are already power factor
>corrected.  What I am not sure of is how to tell this from name plate data.
>Three of the four transformers that I will be using contain the following
>data:
>
>1 - Jefferson Electric, Cat. #724-111, 120V, 60Hz, 500VA, 15,000V, 60mA.
>2 - Jefferson Electric, Cat. #721-111, 120V, 60Hz, 450VA, 15,000, 30mA.
>
>All three have secondaries with grounded midpoints.  I did not record the
>data from the nameplate of the fourth transformer, but it is also 15kV-at-30mA.
>
>   Is the only consequence of no PFC simply less power delivered to the
>circuits (and the resulting lower coil performance)?
>
>   I am nearly ready to go with my coil.  All that is left to do is to
>assemble the power supply, and for the capacitor from Condensor Products
>Corp. to arrive.
>
>   Any comments that you care to make are welcomed and appreciated.
>

>                                         Jim Watson

Jim,

With or without the power factor correction capacitor on the input of the
neon sign transformer, you will still get the rated power out.  The PFC cap
just balances the load to the line so it doesn't look like a pure inductive
load.  With the PFC cap, it will draw less current which may be important
depending on the size of your variac.

Ed Sonderman