[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Filter Choke Design

On the subject of choke core saturation....

> It may be a good thing, for the neon, to operate the core close to
> saturation. I'm throwing this idea out for comment, please feel free
> to correct me! The core losses go up, reducing the power to the
> primary, but by the same token, you don't generate 36Kv to 45Kv across
> your neon. These were some of the numbers I've generated by spice
> simulation on my tank circuit. I may, however, be GIGO by using a bad
> model. Comments? corrections?

Problem is, a saturated core has an induction factor approaching that
of air, and I think it's agreed that air-core chokes are no good. I
honestly think that neon trannys don't need chokes, because if you
look at an equivalent circuit, you see some massive inductance (the
neon secondary measuring hundreds of Henries) in series with a few
mH. Additionally, I would think that 5K or so of winding resistance
would swamp the esr of a small lossy choke.

Malcolm