[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Filter Choke Design

tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 20:00:55 +0700, you wrote:

>>From haba-at-snakemail.hut.fi Wed Mar  6 14:13 MST 1996

>Correct if you have 10kV rms voltage between the ends of the coil.
>However, you may have pretty severe ringing and I'll leave speculating
>that to the experts.
you are doing pretty well yourself!

[snip]
>Depending on the material that may or may not be low enough. Most ferrites
>work safely without saturation up to around 2-5T depending on the
>material. There may be another point to consider too: they may heat
>with high frequency at some cases. Probably this does not happen with
>those applications.
>
>Why is nobody using the setup often seen in filters ie. wind two
>windings to the same core. Properly phased they will cancel each
>other out when one lead makes flus +B the other is making flux -B.
>The net will then be 0 naturally. Insulation problems will be a lot more
>severe to mention one problem. Coil on the other hand will get lot
>smaller.

Harri,
	Great idea, but , the RF voltage from the TC primary will be
out of phase and cancel. Oh! put the windings on the common-mode-choke
out of phase from each other (switch on windings polarity) this will
make the RF and 60/50 Hz both common mode . Cancel that, it just makes
the core saturation problem worse.

	jim