[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Overdriving potential transformers

Hi Steve,

> How much current can I get from my 1.5kVA, 14400 potential transformer
> before some kind of catastrophic failure occurs - 2kVA? 3KVA? more?  I
> have assumed that as long as I don't exceed the rated voltage, a PT would
> be almost as bullet-proof as a pole transformer and would be pretty much
> limited by the temperature rise (i.e. - turn it off when it starts
> getting warm).  Is this a reasonable assumption or am I going to quickly
> end up with a dead PT by running it at a higher current than what it's
> rated for?

I had the same question a couple of months ago.  I had to call the
manufacturer and inquire on the internal wire size.  I then had
to ask what the max operatin temperature is.  They went into a formula
(which I don't have handy) for their PT.  I'm sure these figures would
be different for each brand and model of transformer.  I suggest you
contact the manufacturer and give them your model number.  Their
engineers should be able to give some insight.

Scott Myers