[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Welder Selection for Current Limiting

Hi Kevin,

> >scotty-at-wesnet-dot-com wrote:
> >>
> >> I recently purchased a Century "Powerdisk" 230 amp AC welder.  I
> >> found it at Quality Farm & Fleet for $189.95.  It is an infinitely
> >> adjustable movable core unit with a high and a low range.

> Scott,
>
> What are the +- of the above compared to a movable shunt type? I found a
> Century 230A model #84230 (movable shunt type) for $175 at Northern Hydraulic
> 800-533-5545, is this the same as your unit?

The one I purchased is a movable shunt type.  I should not have chosen the words
"movable core", for the core itself doesn't move.  The model you found is similar
to the model I found.  Mine is Century 230 model 84234.  I contacted Century
(They have an 800 support line) and asked.  The guts of the welder are the same,
ie.: the core, windings, etc.  The difference is how the shunt is moved.  The
model you found has a handle you release that releases the shunt.  You then
manually move it by hand.  When you have it where you want it, you lock it down
again with the handle.  Mine has a disk with an offset handle on top.  This
disk is connected to a brass threaded rod that goes down into the welder and is
attached to the core via a threaded bracket.  By turning the handle on top, you
change the position of the shunt.  The advantage of the type with this "disk" on
top is that you can change the setting while under load.  The type that you found
must be powered down (or the secondary opened) to change the shunt positon.  If
you tried to change it while under load, it would suck the shunt into the core.
Other than the difference in the way the shunts are adjusted, they are the same.

Scott Myers