[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Book review and coil update

tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com On Wed, 20 Mar 1996 20:01:17 +0700, you
wrote:

>>From uucp-1.csn-dot-net!smtpgate.whitlock-dot-com.!RICHARDH-at-whitlock-dot-com Wed Mar 20 16:44 MST 1996
>From: Richard Hull <whitlock-dot-com!RICHARDH-at-uucp-1.csn-dot-net>

>Thanks for the kind review!! (there's those exclamation marks again!)
>I was kindly warned about those "!!!" by Leland Anderson for use in a
>scientific work. (he used to review and oversee government technical
>publications.)  But I like to exclaim and am very boisterous most of the
>time.  So I thought why not flipout the staid of spirit and palcate the odd
>humanist reading the work.  This way each got something of value and
>something to beef about too!  What a guy for all seasons, huh?!!!  ....
>ooops
lol

>On the matter of your coil,  never reduce the number of gaps, increase them!
> oops
I tried, but a 20:1 increase just fizzled;)
>A single gaps works ok up to about 500 watts beyond this is never quenches
>well.  This will force one to use lower couplings and thus whimpy, thin,
>sparks are the result.   More gaps really helps quench an arc.  Use all
>metal electrodes.  I prefer tungsten rod of 3/16 diameter for small systems.

do you have any thoughts why: given the same air gap x,  n*(x/n) works
better than just  x? The "classic" glow discharge to arc discharge
theory is just based on current flow (at about 1 amp transition) why
would the number of electrodes have an effect?
>The aspect ratio on samll coils is not too important, but avoid 20:1
>monstrosities.
lolrotf-- I'm seeing Nikola using Pikes Peek as the support for his
Colorado Springs experiments!

	respectfully,

	jim