[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Bumping above 40%

Richard,

I read your report of Wed, 13 Mar 1996 03:50:00 GMT on the Tesla
Group net with interest.  Congratulations on successfully re-wiring
your pole pig and on your other Tesla accomplishments!  I've seen
some of your photos on the Web.  It looks like you have been doing
this for some time.

You described 'bumping' in the power cabinet after turning the variac
beyond 40%.  I have experienced a similar situation and I thought you
might like to hear what I found.

In my case severe bumping was accompanied by primary RF winding
flashover between turns.  The primary was a flat spiral, about 10
turns of 0.75 inch aluminum CATV distribution hardline coax.  Spacing
was approximately 3/8 inch gap between turns.

I was not using an RFI line filter between my 16KV pole pig and the
230 volt variac at the time.  When the bumping and TC primary interwinding
arcing began, the area of winding on the variac that was currently
selected by the control rotor would smoke and burn.  Dialling up a new power
setting would then immediately burn another winding area on the variac.

As I came to understand the situation I learned that there were two
undesireable conditions occuring here at the same time.  I have dealt
with them separately and successfully.

The bumping and TC primary arcing was caused by the pole pig and
system RF capacitor jumping into 60Hz resonant charging.  The 60Hz
reactance in my variac (above a certain setting) combined with the
reactance of the power control reactor choke and primary winding of
the pole pig on one side, and the secondary reactance and RF
capacitor on the other side conspired by chance to resonate at 60Hz.

When I dialled the variac up to only about 45 volts the pole xfmer
would suddenly bump and then emit an angry growling noise.
Measurement with a high voltage probe showed that the secondary
voltage coming out of my mild mannered 16KV pole pig was suddenly
24KVRMS!  The transformer was in hard saturation.  Further increase
in the variac voltage setting from 45 volts up to the full 220 volts
made negligible change in the 24KV transformer output.  Note that
this is EXACTLY how a Sola constant voltage transformer is made, and
note also that they make the same growling noise!

Naturally, this excessive overcharge was hard on my RF capacitor.
Luckily it survived to run another day.  With the transformer running
in saturation at 24KV output, along comes the rotary break cyclicly dropping a
dead short across the transformer.  If you think of magnetic flux in
a transformer as sort of a spring between primary and secondary
windings, and a saturated core as a spring at the extreme end of its
travel, you can imagine how the rotary break closures would be
reflected through the pole transformer back to the variac as
'bumping'.  The current surges are enormous!  That was a big problem
merely looking at the 60 Hz component.  Now consider all of the RF
which also rides on the primary circuit from the pole transformer
back to the variac and I think one has an explanation for the smoking
winding where the wiper is selected!

The resonant situation was easily stopped by setting the inductance
of the power control reactor out of the range that caused this
resonant condition.  I changed it from 16 millihenries to 8
millihenries.  No more bumping or harmful 24KV surges on my capacitors.
Changing the value of the RF capacitor would also do the trick.

To stop RF and associated garbage from getting back to my variac, and
the neighbourhood power grid, I put a 50 Amp, 250 volt RFI line
filter in each line between the pole pig and the variac.  These are those big
rectangular, oil fillled filters used for power conditioning as the
mains enter RF shielded  test rooms.  They attenuate 100db from 14KHz
to 10GHz.  They cost about $500.00 each but I've seen them at
hamfests like Dayton for $50.00.  Try to score a pair of these if you
can!  They are rated for 140% overload condition for about 15
minutes.  I suspect a 200% overload for  normal Tesla coil duty
wouldn't hurt them.

There is a lot of hyperbole out there in reference to Tesla's
Colorado Springs work.  I wonder if the real cause of the power generator
meltdown wasn't all that sci-fi that we've all heard, but rather the mechanism
which  I desribed above?

Happy coiling!
R.W.S.