[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Filter Choke Design

Re: Filter Ringing
Jim:
	Don't know what your model is, but you may well be
right.  I have done some simulation here which makes me wonder
at the effectiveness of series filters, unless they are damped
with series resistance of the order of the 5000 ohms Malcom
mentioned in his note.  5 k series resistors wouldn't drop the
output voltage much, but they dissipate about 20 watts at 60
ma load current, and would need to withstand the voltage.  I
have been thinking of a string of 1 k, 10 watt wirewounds in
series.
	Would be interested in more on your modeling and the
results.  Bottom line is that I kind of suspect that the
wrong kind of series filter might actually stress the transformer
more, rather than less.  Of course, proper safety gaps may
"save the day".
Ed Phillips