[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Welder Selection for Current Limiting

Gents,
These are also known as "variable reactance" welders.
They are distinguished by having moveable shunt plates
in the core, or by having a moveable core.  Most of the
units I have seen have a knob or wheel to convey this
movement to the inner works. RQ's video shows his welder
which appears to be variable shunt type controlled with
lever and lock.  The advantage (as I see it) to a knob
controlled system is that you can adjust current levels
while under power.  I have not put any serious power into
my coil yet, but the concept has worked well while test
firing a jacobs ladder with my pole transformer using the
welder as ballast.  Between the big variac and the welder,
it is smooth and controllable (after the first jolt :-)
Gotta put some resistance in there I guess......

Glenn

>> Scott,
>>
>> What are the +- of the above compared to a movable shunt type? I
found a
>> Century 230A model #84230 (movable shunt type) for $175 at Northern
Hydraulic