[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: arc welder

At 01:31 PM 3/14/96 +0700, you wrote:
>>From davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net Thu Mar 14 13:17 MST 1996
>Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:11:11 +0000
>From: David Euans <davide-at-mailhost.accesscom-dot-net>
>To: Tesla Group <tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com>
>Subject: arc welder
>
>Hi,
>	I'm in the process of building a coil using a 14.4KV 10KVA pole pig.
>My question relates to how small an arc welding unit I can get away with
>in terms of its input current rating.  I can get a 220v 20amp unit at a
>good price but don't know if this is likely to survive if I try to throw
>30-40 amps through it with some resistance paralleled across it and
>don't run it for very long.
>
>	Am I likely to smoke this welder?
>
>Thanks,
>Dave

No, you are not likely to smoke the welder.  But you will limit the current
to the pole pig to the 20 amps that the welder will pass.  Think of it this
way: if you connect a 50 watt soldering iron in series with your pole pig,
only 50 watts of power total can flow through the soldering iron or pig -
because they are in series.  If you substitute a 20 amp welder for the
soldering iron, the max current will be 20 amps.  If you want 30 or 40 amps
you will have to a) go to a larger welder or b) parallel some other current
passing device across the welder (heating elements, another welder, etc.)

I once used our 30,000 clothes dryer to limit current to my first potential
transformer.  The worst thing that could happen is that the dryer would run
at full power, i.e., if the transformer had been shorted.

Bert