[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Blown Rolled "Hull" Capacitor Discussion

One of the problems that you can run into with PVC pipe and PVC end caps is
that if you try to use a good vacuum pump, you can suck air THROUGH the PVC
end caps!
<<<
I believe that what is really happening is that the air pressure put cracks
in the end cap.  This crack would seal closed when there is no air pressure
on it, but spring open when pulling the vacuum.

I have a small leak somewhere in my end cap and it made an oily mess
on my floor until I put the darn thing in a bucket.  When I make them
in the future, I'll use about 3/4" of epoxy in the bottom to seal the thing
(I'll actually use the Build50, since I have a quart of it)

By the way, I pulled a vacuum on my cap, and despite the air leaking in,
I have never had a failure, despite the fact that I run at 15kV.  I used
oil that the salesman said was transformer oil (it was labeled Mobiltherm
503(?) Heat transfer oil)

Chip