[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Fair caps test

>Charles,
>
>This is the worst treatment you can give a cap or a transformer!  The
>tests would tend to indicate a very good capacitor for Tesla use, albeit
>a bit pricey!
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

Yes, I suppose so.  These are the first commercial caps I've owned that had a
high enough voltage rating for Tesla use.  Since the system I'm using them in
is pretty tiny, I thought I'd try stressing them a bit to see how they held up.
 By the way, what is a decent price for a cap like this?  Since joining these
discussion groups I've heard stories of hamfest deals, but I have never
attended one.  Much of my scrounging is limited to catalogs, and I haven't seen
much in the way of really high voltage caps other than doorknobs.  My
re-introduction to coiling came with the discovery of these groups last winter
(last coil before that was in high school!), and since then I've been using
homemade caps.

Charles Brush

p.s. on the subject of scrounging, I recently found  a small surplus/scrap yard
in Stamford CT that had a lot of electronics.  Thought I'd mention it if anyone
here is in the area.  It's called Vulcan, and I have the adress/phone someplace
at home if anybody wants it.