[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: FAQ questions...

Tesla List wrote:

> >From chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-comMon Jul  8 22:54:39 1996
> Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 22:54:17 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Chip Atkinson <chip-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> Subject: FAQ questions...
>
> Greetings,
>
> I am starting to work on the safety FAQ, but naturally am having some
> questions.  (I'd like to be as accurate as possible)
>
> 1) Is it true that it takes 10 Joules of electricity to kill someone?
>    (If not, how much is it?)
>
> 2) Is a watt in AC roughly volts*amps?  I believe that a watt is VA in
>    DC, and if you are dealing with RMS Volts and amps, does that make it
>    true for AC?
>
> Thanks for your attention.  More questions will follow I'm sure.
>
> Chip

Chip,

I am sure 10 Joules of energy can kill, but it is more a matter of
voltage and current.  The skin is usually broken through and a shock felt
by as little as 50 volts.  I have heard that it take about 10-100ma to
kill.  I question this.  What kills one guy is just a nasty shock to
another.  (different bodily tolerances, heat conditions, skin resistances
etc.  It is tough to quantify the matter more.

AC watts are volt-amps in a purely resistive AC circuit (like frying a
human being.)  But not in Tesla coil power circuitry.  the correct term
is VAR, volt-amps-reactive.  This tells the listener that a simple
current and voltage measurement was taken in an AC circuit with known
reactance present, but without a phase angle, tells little more.

Richard Hull, TCBOR