[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Scans

 * Original msg to: Napier-at-cats.ucsc.edu

Quoting napier-at-cats.ucsc.edu (Mark Napier)

> I have begun to collect components for a high power system
> The commercial caps are the first thing.  I need to get down to
> the local Pacific Gas & Electric maintenance station to see
> what they have...  I also need to get to the hamfest to find a
> 240v variac that will handle this.

Sounds reasonable.

> The next big question is the control cabinet.  I do not know a
> lot of the details about how to wire it for optimum safety.
> For my purposes it just needs the switches and the variac and
> some warning lights.  I have some idea how some of this is
> run from the video I got from you, but I will need some more
> details soon.

I have a GIF format image I drew of the basic pole pig wiring
diagram from the breaker box to the tank circuit. The file is
called CIRCUIT.GIF. You can jazz it up or leave it pretty much
how it is diagrammed; I included no bells and whistles on the
diagram I drew up. My records show that you should find this file
on the disk I sent you with the video tape.

> I am thinking about a rotary gap also.  The series rotary that
> I read about recently sounds really nice.  Have you seen one of
> those?

Yes.

> It was described by Marcus young recently.  Is the theory good?

The theory is good, but there is even a better idea. The gap as
described is not really a series gap but a parallel gap. The true
series gap is a better quencher, but is more difficult to design
and build. The rotor disk is made from an insulator, such as the
G-10 glass-epoxy. Each electrode on the rotor disk is wired with
a strap or copper pipe to the electrode opposite. The perimeter
stationary electrodes are wired up in pairs to the stationary
electrode next to it. The end effect is that the arc is
established in true series across all electrodes, moving and
stationary both. These type gaps are pretty advanced, and can be
a nightmare to balance and set up.

Build your first rotary simple and heavy. Once you are intimately
familiar with the design, construction, and operation; then your
second gap unit can be the museum piece.

> I am still interested in building a magnifier.  Is it a good
> idea to build one for the power supply that I have now (120ma
> of neons)?

My first Magnifiers were fired neon power supplies. Magnifier
circuits have even more brutal and more frequent kickbacks than
1/4 wave coils, so it is wise to have all of your RF filter/
bypass network de-bugged and working perfectly.

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12