[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bipolar Tesla Coil

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:01:07 +0700 you said:

> > If you build a centre driven coil [BIPOLAR], and cause the
> > discharges to arc between the opposite ends of the coil, then
> > If you want them to arc together, well there are ways to
> > accomplish this but the arc length will be limited by the
> > physical length of the coil.
>
>This assumption was once a "given" fact in 1/4 wave Tesla
>coiling, and has been since proven false. I respectfully submit
>that properly designed bipolar coils are also capable of
>exceeding these "limitations". Please expand on your references.

I agree totally, in fact, J.J. Thompson, way back when, describes a
bi-polar coil about 3 feet long producing 60" white-hot discharges
between the terminals. His point was to prove that induction coils
made up of thousands of turns were *not* necessarry to produce
high-voltages. I can get the reference if anyone's interested. :)

> > If you build a three coil magnifier system, it should be
> > bossible to 'break' the coil in half end stand each upright,
> > at either end of a centre driven RF transmition line. The
> > centre tap and RF line would still be a 'tempting' point for
> > the resonators' output to arc to, but it will go further still
> > to find a 'real' earth!
>
>I find real innovation in this line of thought. This is an area
>that is wide open to experimenters, yet few seem willing to step
>in and fill the gaps with modern knowledge (read reproducible
>experiments) on this subject. The key word here is experiment.

Heh, along those lines: What about a bi-polar magnifier, wherein the
primary is designed to be two different 1/8th-wave drivers, (one for
each terminal) and then have a third coil at each terminal at it's
respective 1/4-wave frequency, and then put the two third coils together
so that ball-discharges are produced between them. Any thoughts on this?
:)

Dan   <klineda-at-univscvm.csd.sc.edu>