[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

No Subject

To:      grendel!grendel.objinc-dot-com!tesla-at-uucp-1.csn-dot-net
Subject: Re: variacs

%UNIPLEX
%TO            grendel!grendel.objinc-dot-com!tesla-at-uucp-1.csn-dot-net
%FROM          darl
%SYSTEM        tasa1
%SUBJECT       Re: variacs
%DATE          23/01/96 10:39
%REFERENCE     13602
%ADDRESS       grendel!grendel.objinc-dot-com!tesla-at-uucp-1.csn-dot-net

Regarding 400Hz variacs:  I agree with Ed Phillips -- it's pretty much a
waste of time and money to consider them.  There may be some use as an audio
attenuator if low frequencies aren't a real problem.  Or perhaps one could
experiment with them as an oscilator winding by using switching transistors
and setting the operating point at the center.  However, 400Hz devices are
usually found on aircraft and the like due to the lower weight of materials.~

400Hz variacs cannot be used off-the-shelf, in my opinion, for the majority
of cases we could imagine.  Modification of some kind would be necessary to
the variac to use it at a lower voltage/current level (and then the
usefulness is drastically reduced because of limited applications).~

Bob Lunsford//~