Re: A Spark Is Born!

I can tell you from experience that you should consider a rolled cap.
I used glass plates and Al foil for my first cap.  It was workable, but
eventually actually shattered when I got sparks between the plates, which
shattered the glass.  Next I tried a stacked capacitor with polypropylene.
This worked well, but leaked.  Sealing it was impossible with my design.
Finally, I went to a rolled cap.  This is "easy" to seal (I should have tested
the seal of the container _Before_ filling with oil!).  Nevertheless,
the cap works very very well.  I run it at 15kV, and haven't punctured 
the dielectric, even though I have smoked a few neons.