[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Dan's coil

Dan,

>PVC is lossy and not recommended.
>

>---> What material should I use and where can it be obtained?

Acrylic tube works well.  You can get it from a plastics supply house.  Look
around in a household supply place for a polyethylene waste basket of
correct proportions.  They're everywhere once you start looking.

>>Main Transformer:
>
>---> No, the transformer is not self limiting.

You will require inductive/resistive balast in series with the low voltage
side.  TC's are veritable short circuits in operation.  People on this list
like things such as oven elements and arc-welder primaries (with shorted
secondaries) for balast components.

>>.025uf CAP:

>---> I am not sure what the dielectric is.  It is in a rectangular metal
>case with a huge ceramic insulator coming out of the top center.

Well, just try it out and see.  Monitor the capacitor case frequently for
heat.  Be sure and discharge it thoroughly first.

Zap,
Mark