[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

tesla secondaries/locomotive wire

>Timothy A. Chandler asks "How do I find the inductance of a Tesla coil"

>This question has no answer.
	It has several.  Depends on the coil, but:

>In fact, what you want to find is the self resonant frequency of the coil.
>This includes the distributed capacity of the windings. Forget about lumped L,
>these puppies are slow wave helical resonators.
	Just so.  However this touches on a theoretical point that has been
	rattling thru my mind:
		What if one so manages the secondary (tertiary, if used?)
		design so that the distributed L/Distributed C AND THE
		helical resonator mode are the same??

	Are there inefficiencies assocaited with having two resonant freqs?
	It seems there might, but i am speculating...

	My (sideline) understanding is that 'helical resonator' approach
	gets closer than 'distributed l/c approach'.  Are there advantages
	to aiming for both to coincide?  (or is this routine and i missed it?)

-----------------
Locomotive wire:
	Well, as a railfan, of the technical style, i never heard the term.
	The cable described appear suitable for wiring to tracion motors,
	tho:
		flexible, high current, maybe a litte light in insulation
		for mechanical purposes.

	A single lok may run 6,000 hp continuous, with 1000-1200V on the
	traction motors. (say 1000 hp/750 KW each), meaning 100-200A
	continuous.

	regards
	dwp