[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Formless Secondary

Hi Kevin,

No, you're not wasting your time if you are having fun.  However, if you are
trying to build the ultimo secondary, you probably are.  Any secondary you
make on approved materials like acrylic or polyethylene are going to produce Q
factors far above the Q of the primary circuit.  These two Q factors behave
something like resistors in parallel.  You know, if you have 1000ohms in
parallel with 20ohms, the 1000ohm resistor isn't really contributing much to
the resultant value.  The formula for system Q (which I have posted many times
before) is:

    Qsys = 2 * (1-K) * (Qp * Qs) / (Qp + Qs)

where:
Qp & Qs are the primary and secondary Q factors
K is the coefficient of coupling (typically 0.05 to 0.2)

If you build a really really good primary circuit, you will get Qp = 50
(about).  The typical well made secondary's Qs = 150.  Plugging these numbers
into the formula (assume K = 0.1) gives Qsys = 68.  Now, if you succeed in
building an absolutely balls out screeeeeemin' secondary with a Qs of 400
(which you won't), the SYSTEM Q (Qsys) will increase to 80.  This translates
to a power processing efficiency increase from 72% to 75% for all that effort.
 This is the efficiency at which power is coupled from primary to secondary
and vice versa, not the efficiency of output spark power to input power.

Well, I hope that wasn't too long winded for you, but I could have just said
"yes, you're wasting your time." and left it at that, but you probably
wouldn't have appreciated that too much.  My point (as always): INCREASE THE
PRIMARY Q and you will go much farther in increasing Qsys.  The best way to do
that is to wind a low frequency secondary coil (40-100KHz) that will require
the largest possible primary inductor to tune it.  This slants the primary L/C
ratio up and increases primary Q dramatically.

Boy, I sure say that a lot.

Zap,
Mark