[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Saltwater Caps

Hi Guys,

A friend and myself are planning a small, low cost TC project.  When
specifying caps for the lab I usually take the maximum peak to peak voltage
and multiply that by 2.5 to get the  DC working voltage for the cap I need.

If I am using saltwater caps where the glass wall thickness is 0.125 inches
and the puncture voltage is about 200 volts per mil, then the 125 x 200 =
25kV.  Derating by 2.5 gives a working voltage of about 10 kV for the peak
to peak voltage or about
7 kV RMS.

Is this the correct approach?

Also, is the output voltage on an oil burner ignition transformer the RMS or
peak to
peak value?

TTFN

Harry Adams