[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Alternate electrolytes

 From: Tim Chandler <tchand-at-slip-dot-net>
> Also has anyone ever tried using a better conducting electrolyte in
salt water
> capacitors, does it improve performance any?  Here are some equivalent
> conductances of some electrolytes:
>
> NaCl              120.65
> CaCl2             124.25
> K3Fe(CN)6         150.7
> K4Fe(CN)6         146.09
> Ca(OH)2           232.9
> NaOH              240.8
> HCl               415.80
>
> ....above in 0.005 gram equivalents per 1000 cubic centimeters
>
> Hydrochloric acid appears a good choice, that is if you could keep it from
> destroying the electrode and wall of the vessel..:)
>
> Note that sodium chloride (table salt) is pretty low, I am sure their is a
> better choice for the liquid-conductor plates in "salt-water" capacitors.
> Question is does the conductivity of the liquid-plate electrolyte really
> make that big of difference in overall capacitor performance, or maybe I
> am just pissing in the wind...

Tim;
  I've been mostly a lurker to this list, having not posted
anything for at least a year and a half, but I'd certainly like
to add a comment to your very interesting suggestion.
  Beyond conductivity, it would also be useful to look at the
solubilities of the various materials. After all, the
conductivity of the electrolyte will depend not only on
the types of numbers you've given, but how much of the material
you can actually dissolve in the water. I'm gonna go on memory
here, because my CRC is at home, but NaCl is also a lousy
choice because it has such a low solubility. I suspect it's
been used so widely because it's so readily available.
  While the Ca(OH)2 looks almost twice as good, it's so slightly
soluble in water that it would make an incredibly poor
electrolyte at the start, and then it would degrade by reacting
with atmospheric CO2 to produce insoluble CaCO3. The NaOH is
caustic enough that you wouldn't want even tiny spatters of the
stuff, and if you do spatter it, it will absorb atmospheric
moisture to the point that it will be constantly wet; something
you don't need around high voltage. It also absorbs atmospheric
CO2, though it produces a soluble product. A bigger problem
with the HCl is that it's a gas dissolved in water, and will
slowly evaporate out of the solution, corroding various items in
your lab as it goes. Some problems might be solved by sealing
the capacitors, but I'd personally feel uncomfortable with this,
particularly when better alternatives are available.
  Rather than starting with conductivity numbers, which seem to
vary by a factor of 2 or 3, why not start with solubility numbers,
which can vary by an order of magnitude? Sodium nitrate is far
more soluble than table salt, and is a cheap fertilizer. (You'd
have to go to a dealer that supplies farmers for this; the
garden shop at the mall wouldn't carry it.) A solution like this
would make materials like paper much more flammable, but it's
not all that hazardous, not toxic (at least if you consider
hot dogs non toxic) and is easy to dispose of if you find it
unacceptable. (It _is_ sold as fertilizer!) Since it is an
oxidizer and makes things more flammable, it might be best
suited for feasability testing of the concept, before spending
bucks for more expensive materials...
  If you instead wish to go for a more inert
(and more expensive) alternative, I beleive that the solubility
of Potassium Iodide is absolutely fantastic. Again, the CRC
handbook will provide lots of solubility numbers. Once you've
found a really soluble material, then look for conductivity
numbers. (or, get a small sample and measure it directly; I
can provide some mail order chemical dealers who'll sell you
quantities as low as an ounce.)
  I personally think your idea is a good one. To me, the only
obvious losses in the liquid capacitors are polarization
losses in the dielectric (what folks here use the dissipation
factor to describe), resistive losses in the electrolyte, and
resistive losses due to bussing lots of these things together.
I've no doubt that someone will add any others I may have missed,
but if you can minimize the bussing problem, and if I haven't
missed any other significant losses, you might just improve
these things significantly. Best of luck if you decide to
pursue it further.

Wes B.