[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Scoping

Hi,
        I was woundering if anybody had hooked a high voltage divider up to
the primary of a TC and observed the waveform, measured the spark gap quench
time or performed any other measurements? I've got an 20KV RF rated voltage
divider and a dozen or so Dale HV-2 100Mohm resistors. Any thoughts on
safety? I'm a degreed EE but haven't done any HV work and want to make sure
I'm safe before I'm sorry.

I have thought about using a 1000:1 divider ratio using 4 of the dale
100Megohm resistors in series to a  5 parallel combination of 2megohm carbon
comp resistors. I'll then put some transorbs to ground before the scope
connection. All components will be physically well mounted to prevent
circuit disconnection.
BTW, transorbs can be thought of as a 5ps.(thats not a typo: 5*10^-12
second) zener with a many thousand Amp ratting. By using 2 of the
unidirectional devices in antiparallel I can get any clamp voltage between 5
and 500 volts with only a 200pF capacitance penality.

I still have to reduce my common mode power line noise, it's getting into
the scope with the scope input switch on ground and no probe cable
connected. I do have 1 heavy duty line filter in series with the neon.

Any thoughts, physical barriers, components?

                                jim