[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Secondary Winding Done

In a message dated 96-02-12 10:48:46 EST, tesla-at-grendel.objinc-dot-com writes:

>Hello All:
>
>    I was able to take the time to get my secondary completed today.
>It seems that most of my time has either been at work or collecting
>parts for this project.  Today, I took the advice that was listed in
>the past, namely making a secondary winder to make the job easier
>and I finally got started.  I took a 0-90VDC gearmotor with 0-20 RPM
>output and used it to build a winder.  Some wood, some nails and
>that ever present trusty duct tape and it worked great.  I used an
>acrylic form 8"diameter by 36" long and wound 28" of #20 wire on it.
>It took about 1 1/2 hours with my daughter helping feed the wire off
>the spool.  The other advice that I followed was to use the Behr
>Super Build 50 product--$22.99 for 48 oz.  Not cheap stuff but it
>sure looks great!  I'm now going to need some ideas on how to get
>that Behr stuff off the keyboard here too! :-) Just kidding-- hope
>the secondary drys by tomorrow, but it may need some heat, since the
>basement here in Wisconsin isn't all that warm.
>   Well, my next step is the spark gap--I'm going for a
>rotary/series type (using pole pig) that will have a small plastic
>fan mounted on either side of the rotor unit.  This type of fan only
>requires about 27 watts at 3450 RPM so I feel at higher RPM I should
>still not overload the drive motor (I hope!).  I hope to, in effect,
>help purge the immediate area simply by providing a significant
>number of air exchanges per minute in the area of all the spark
>gaps.  It should work along the lines of avacuum gap, maybe with an
>attitude.  I would appreciate any comments if this fan idea has
>already been tried--good or bad news--either would help.  Well, I
>better run back down and see if the secondary is still going round
>and round.  I sure would hate to ruin it now since it looks pretty
>nice with that Behr Super Build 50!
>
>Chuck Curran
>Cedarburg, Wisconsin

Chuck,

Sounds like a great project.  That secondary should really work well.

I use a rotary in series with a static gap.  Both gaps have fans installed
primarily to provide some cooling.  The air from the fans doesn't really have
any effect on the quenching of the gaps.  You need a great volume of air to
quench a static gap.  The rotary should be self quenching by nature and only
maybe needs some air for cooling.

Ed Sonderman