[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: primary calculations

>>        I got side tracked tonight. I build my RQ gap out to 10 tubes and
>>tried it in series and then 2 halves in parallel. I didn't see much
>>improvement, so I may be power limited. Tomorrow night :) I'll try my 90 cfm
>>blower on it to see if I can get it to quench quicker. If that doesn't work
>>I'll pull a 10^-4 torr vacuum on it and see how long I can keep it on;)
>>
>>`                                       jim
>Jim,
>
>If you built the cylindrical gaps as described in the ftp files, they work
>great with neon sign transformers.  [snip]  The muffin
>fan mounted on top really only helps to keep the gap cool and does remove
>some copper ions that must be floating around.  I don't think it improves the
>quench time much.  There is not enough air and it is flowing the wrong
>direction.

I know I have some muffin fans arround here, but I couldn't find them. SO I
used my 90 CFM industrial blower. When I ran a test with blower-off vs.
blower-on my relative RF-power meter went from 1.4 to 1.7, with no other
changes other than letting the blower spin up. No difference in spark
length, but a much stronger discharge. I would say that RQ is right, if the
gap stays on to long the secondary just supplies power back into the primary.

>If you built the RQ vacuum gap (as demonstrated in his video), I understand
>they do work well with a strong vacuum.  I bulit one before I built my rotary
>but could not stop it from arcing on the ends.  I had supported the copper
>tubes by compressing them into some polyethyelene on each end.  I now
>understand they need to be supported only in the center so the edges cannot
>"leak" high voltage across some insulator.
>
>Ed Sonderman

No, just from the files on the ftp site: 6" diameter PVC with 1" Cu pipe
instead of 1.5" Cu pipe. Gapped at about 0.016" for my 7.5Kv. I've got it
set up as 2 set of 4 gaps in parallel.

I took pictures tonight. If they come out, I try to get them digitized, and
post them.

                                jim