[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Poly Caps

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 22:39:26 -0700 Tesla List- Mike Hammer
<mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net> writes:

>I built a cap in beer bottles and had fair success with it. It
>got me sparking until I built a flat plate poly cap. The poly cap
made a BIG difference.

   Mike, I was experimenting with polyethylene plate capacitors a
while back. Even though polyethylene has a low K it has very good
dielectric strength, which means smaller spacing between the
plates and consequently higher capacitance per volume than most
other dielectrics! I built one polyethylene cap out of 6 inch
square sheets about 1/8 inch thick. I used copper sheeting for
the plates and submerged the whole thing in mineral oil held in a
plexiglass tank I built for it. It's performance was the best I
ever had compared to glass caps or even mineral oil caps! What
was the construction like on your poly cap?

                                 Sincerely
                             Alfred A. Skrocki
                          alfred.skrocki-at-juno-dot-com