[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3/4 wavelength error

Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: 3/4 wavelength error
>
> >From sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-comWed Aug  7 21:20:25 1996
> Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 21:15:58 -0700
> From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 3/4 wavelength error
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> > big snip

Skip responds to suggestion larger coil diameters make larger sparks--

> Ed and all,
>
> I would be interested to know your reasoning regarding being able to get
> larger sparks by going to a larger diameter coil. Is this a seat of the
> pants thing? Actually this is what I have seen in practice and I would
> really like to determine the limit if it exists. Every time I increase
> diameter the discharge length goes up!
>
> Thanks for any comments
>
> Skip

Skip,

The only reason longer sparks are afforded by larger diameter coils is
that they have much more inductance!  with the jump from 4" diameter to
10" diameter, the inductance jump per foot of winding really leaps into
the stratosphere!  Again, it is inductance in the resonator that drives
spark length.  To make it happen effeciently, a lot of thoughtful and
knowledgable shepherding of system components is needed.  This includes
proper loading, power balancing, and gap construction. (the art of
coiling)

Richard Hull, TCBOR