[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Magnetization of Toroid

8/1/96

Tonight I evaluated a small TC with a simple compass to try and
determine if there is a magnetic component associated with a DC
electromagnetic field.  The secondary arcs were about 24 inches from a
metal toroid.  The toroid is made from 3" galvanized steel stove pipe
elbows covered with bright aluminum tape.  The toroid is 10-1/2" X 3"
with a flat steel inner plate.  There are twelve flat "fascets" on the
outer diameter of the toroid.

Firing the coil in the vertical position, I approached the coil with
the compass on a long wood insulator.  There were no compass strikes.
The compass did not deviate from magnetic north over or around the
toroid.  Held a few inches from the coil itself there was still no
compass deviation.  I did not fire horizontally.

After shutting the coil down, again the coil was surveyed and there was
to no compass deviation next to the coil itself.  However, surveying
the toroid revealed strong deviation with the north seeking compass arm
swinging to ENE.  Removing the toriod from the TC revealed a magnetic
field appearantly induced in the metal toroid.  Placing the compass on
the flat inner plate of the toriod oriented the compass to specific
areas of the toroid.  This orientation held even while rotating the
toroid 360 degrees.

Replacing the toroid in a different position and refiring the TC
changes the magnetic orientation on the induced magnetic fields of the
toroid.

Please reconfirm this lowtech experiment.

Will high frequency RF discharges magnetize the metalic toroid in a
particular orientation?  What's the likelyhood that DC discharges cause
magnetization in a particular orientation?

RWW