[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rebuilding a neon

>From: Mike Hammer <mhammer-at-midwest-dot-net>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Rebuilding a neon
>

>I have acquired 3 Jefferson Electric 12kv 60 ma neon transformers
>free of charge. One unit works fine and is working well on my coil.
>I am trying to rebuild one of the dead units. I unpotted it ok and
>once the tar was off it came to life. However there is some arcing
>between the windings and core. So I have attempted to dismantle the
>core and remove the windings. There are 4 rivets in the corners and
>the windings are contained on a bar along one edge of the core.
>Excuse my attempt at ascii artwork.
>

>      _____________________________________________
>     |      /                              \       |
>     |     | SEC           PRI         SEC  |      |
>     |    --\----- ------------------------/--     |
>     |     | SEC   |---|   PRI   |---| SEC   |     |
>     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
>     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
>     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
>     |     | SEC   |   |   PRI   |   | SEC   |     |
>     |     --------|   | --------|   |--------     |
>     |                                             |
>     |                                             |
>     |                                             |
>     |_____________________________________________|
>

>The bar containing the windings seems like it should slide
>out of the rest of the core.But it seems quite unmovable.
>Removing the rivets from the rest of the core didn't help.

I've torn apart my jefferson and the 'I' portion of the core that the
primary and secondaries are on will not come out until the 'E' core is
dismantled lamination by lamination. Part way through delaminating the
main core, the 'I' will come loose. With a dull knife blade to
separate the laminations, it doesn't take very long.

>Also where are the magnetic shunts in this transformer. I don't
>see anything that looks like a shunt plate.It just seems to be a 2 piece
>core.

The shunts are the pieces of the main core on either side of the
primary. They are part of the main 'E' core. This 'E' has 2 small legs
in it.  They are not separate pieces.

	jim