[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil form

Tesla List wrote:

> >From julian-at-kbss.bt.co.ukFri Aug 16 13:36:15 1996
> Date: Fri, 16 Aug 96 09:50:09 BST
> From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Coil form
>
> I have spent some time looking for a 10" coil form and have finally found some
> LDPE pipe.   This sounds like an ideal plastic to use. The only trouble is that
> it is 12mm thick (its plastic gas pipe).
>
> Will this have a significant effect on the Q of the secondary.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this pipe?
>
> Julian Green

Julian,

Because LDPE has such outstandingly loss RF losses, virtually any
thickness should work just fine and should maximize the Q of any coil
wound on it. Other than being somewhat heavy, the coil should be an
outstanding performer with no pretreatment required. The only problem
this material has is that no glue/adhesive sticks to it very well,
making attachment of coil form ends a little bit more difficult.

Does anyone know if we use this material in the USA?? I've seen smaller
(1"  diameter around but nothing this size...

-- Bert --