[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla coil specs.

Hi Charles,

If there is a balancing act happening, it doesn't seem to occur down to 22
gauge.  I have noticed no better performance by going to thicker wire.
Better
performance seems to always have come from the coils with the highest
inductance.  However, there are practical limitations with this.  While
close-winding #30 wire will give you a whopping inductance, the coil would
not
be tall enough to withstand the voltages.  Richard Hull may have something
say about that though.

I wound a coil of the same resonant frequency as the coil mentioned in my
last
post (see below) with #10 wire for the express purpose of testing for wire
size.  This represents a tremendous increase in copper and surface area.
Performance was NO BETTER!  Maybe even a tad worse.

Just my experience.
Zap,
Mark