[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Various Ramblings: grounds, olde scopes, terminals

(Yeah.  I'm behind...  8)>>)

1)As i suspect others have said, short 'grounds' are best.

Given a nearby body of water, i'd strike STRAIGHT DOWN, to get to the
water table, rather than cabling sideways.  But thats just my opinion...
And get well into the water table.

2) Olde Scopes, and any other olde electronics:  One common problem
is Electrolytic caps getting leaky.  (noise on first turn on).  Leaving them
powered up for a while, with luck, the dielectric (a sheet of micro bubbles)
will reform.  (I mention this bit of technotrivia as electrolytic caps are not
typically used in 'coiling, so their quirks may not be known...)  Ideally, the
caps are 'reformed' at low voltage, but commonly it can be done in circuit.

3) Terminal shape.  In conventional HV work (and i suspect in coiling) at
high voltages the _effective_ terminal, especially below spark break out may
have a somewhat different shape than the physical one.  'corona' ionization
may lead to a conductive 'shape' which, basically surrounds and modifies the
physical ahapre of the terminal.  (examples if interested.).

(I have an electronic copy of an electronic fleamarket list, but its
'east coast us' centric, so reluctant to post unless someone specifically
interested.  Can post or mail.)

regards
	dwp